This long term project with DG FISH involved the deployment and management of fully equipped and trained fisheries observers onto all European Union fishing vessels active within the NAFO Regulatory Area. Requirements included:
- Selection, training and management of fisheries observers
- Production of briefing documents and observer programme field manuals
- Logistical and data management and dissemination of observer reports to national fisheries departments and organizations and European Commission.
- Liaison with field operators, senior observer and European Fisheries Patrol Vessel (FPV), Unit DGXIV of the European Commission, and fishing companies and their agents.
- Logbook production and data management
- Purchase and maintenance of technical equipment with associated training
- Observer database development and management - data entry and quality checking of observer data
- Report submissions to DGXIV.